The Origin of the Recipe
The peanut butter bread recipe first appeared in a 1932 cookbook, and like most baked goodies in that era, it required very basic ingredients that can be found in every household. The good news is that those ingredients have remained a must-have in most people’s pantries, so you should have no problem getting them.
The Necessary Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup peanut butter
- Chopped banana or ice cream, for serving
How to Make the Peanut Butter Bread
If you get easily intimidated by the thought of baking bread yourself, this recipe is certainly a good place to start conquering your fear. For one, it doesn’t need a sourdough starter, which is what frightens most newbies, so you can relax about that. Now, here is the simple recipe, step by step:
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Grab a bowl and mix all dry ingredients together. This includes the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk well until everything is blended well.
- Add the milk to the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until they are mixed well.
- Add the peanut butter and combine until smooth.
- Grab a loaf pan and grease the bottom and sides (or you can line it with parchment paper instead).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour.
If you’re feeling extra fancy, you can serve the bread with balls of ice cream — sorbet would be perfect — or a chopped banana.