Chef Ina Garten is a person of many talents. One of them is her ability to come up with new cooking tricks to make life in the kitchen way easier. One of the most brilliant hacks of the Barefoot Contessa-famed chef is cooking hash browns using a waffle iron. The result is crisp and delicious hash browns with a fluffy layer of potatoes inside. It’s no surprise that very few items can beat hash browns as a quick and tasty breakfast dish. Here’s the easy recipe to whip them up on a waffle iron, bringing a little change that can go a long way on your breakfast table!
● Russet potatoes, 1½ pounds
● Medium yellow onion, 1
● Melted butter, 2 tablespoons
● Lightly beaten large egg, 1
● All-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon
● Salt, to taste
● Pepper, to taste
● First, grate the potatoes in a food processor, roll them up in a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze out all the excess moisture.
● Place the potatoes in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together until well combined.
● Next, preheat the waffle iron to medium-high. Brush both sides with melted butter. You can also use nonstick cooking spray instead.
● Now, spread 1/3 cup of the potato mixture in each division of the waffle iron. Place down the iron’s top part to sandwich everything together.
● Let the hash browns cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on the strength of your waffle iron.
The Hash Browns
Voila! Delicious hash browns straight from the waffle iron are ready to be enjoyed. With just a handful of ingredients and an easy process, you’ll end up with tasty hash browns that are crispy on the outside but fluffy in the middle. Furthermore, onions add a little extra depth of flavor to the dish alongside a tiny kick. Try the recipe and you may never want to go back to your traditional way of cooking hash browns. It’s that easy and wonderful!