Honey cake can be made for any occasion or just for a sweet treat. For some extra something, this recipe has hints of coffee and orange flavors that go along great with a cup of tea or coffee. Here’s how to make it:
- Nonstick baking spray
- 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt, allspice, and ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of honey
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup and 2 tablespoons of hot brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla paste
Citrus Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Candied orange slices for garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using the baking spray, grease an 8-inch springform pan and add a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom. Wrap the exterior of the pan with foil and set on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a bowl, add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, allspice, salt, and ginger. Whisk together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and honey. Using a stand mixer, beat the eggs with the granulated and brown sugars at medium-high speed until it is thick – about 4 minutes. Slowly add in the oil and honey mixture until it is well combined. In a small bowl, combine the coffee, orange juice, and vanilla paste. Set your mixer to low speed and mix in the dry ingredients while alternating with the coffee mixture.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until baked through. Transfer the cake from the pan to a rack to cool for 1 hour. Remove the springform ring. Invert the cake and remove the parchment paper from the bottom. Let the cake cool for 45 minutes and transfer to a plate.
- In the meantime, make the frosting in a small saucepan. Whisk ½ granulated sugar with the flour and whisk together the milk. Bring it to a boil whisking constantly for 10 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and add plastic wrap directly on the surface. Cool for 1 hour.
- In a stand mixer, beat together butter, ½ cup of granulated sugar, and orange zest until it is smooth. Beat in the flour mixture once it is cool. Add the vanilla, salt, and combine until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on over the top and sides of the cake in a thin layer and cool in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Top with candied orange slices.