Are you in the mood to experiment and be a master chef? This perfect blend of French onion soup and chicken pot pie is just what you need to try out!
● 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
● 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
● 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons olive oil, separately
● 1 thawed frozen puff pastry sheet
● 2 teaspoons kosher salt, separately
● 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
● 1 large egg, beaten
● 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
● ¼ cup water
● 2 medium-sized yellow onions, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick.
● 1 tablespoon minced garlic
● 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
● 1/4 cup sherry, dry
● 2 cups beef stock
● 4 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese, around 1 cup
● 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
● ¾ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
● Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of pepper, and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the chicken, skin side up, and put it in the oven to bake until golden brown. Once the chicken is baked, let it cool down. Remove the skin and bones and shred them into bite-size pieces.
● Roll the dough sheet on a lightly floured surface. Make 7 circles using a 3-inch cookie cutter. On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, arrange the pastry circles. Apply the egg equally to the tops. Put it in the oven until the pastry is puffy and lightly golden.
● In a heating skillet, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and butter. Add onions, and stir until golden brown. Add some water and carrots and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic to the paste, stir, and then add sherry and cook it for 45 seconds.
● Add flour to the mixture and stir until light brown. Slowly, add stock while stirring and change the heat level to medium. Add the shredded chicken along with the rosemary, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt to the paste.
● Add the pastry rounds on top of the chicken and shred the cheese over the mixture. Bake at 425°F until the cheese melts completely. Remove the dish and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Serve hot!